Wallpaper

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Technology.... The 4 Letter Word

Lately, I have had technology on the brain.  This may be due to the fact that I am absolutely, insanely obsessed with Duck Dynasty.  I seriously cannot get enough of it.  (Is there such thing as a Duck Dynasty addiction?  If so, do I need to seek counseling for this said addiction?  I say no.  Duck Dynasty makes me happy, happy, happy.  And that's a fact jack.)  Ever since we have moved to the great state of North Carolina, Todd and I have been exhausted.  Like straight up go to bed at 8 exhausted.  In order to cope with our exhaustion we often find ourselves watching TV in a stupor (this is where the Duck Dynasty comes in.) As much as I love spending time with Si, Jase, Willie and Phil, I would much rather spend time with my husband.  On the one hand, I am so tired that I don't even want to think, let alone try to form words into a coherent sentence in order to contribute to a meaningful conversation.  On the other, in order to make a relationship work, communication and time spent together is important.  I am hoping that many people can relate to this predicament.

I'm sure we have all seen the youtube video that is making its way around facebook.  It highlights all of the ways that technology distracts us, and causes people to become detached from society, like our devices have taken over our bodies in some crazy sci fi movie (Sharknado but with phones?).  Now let me get this straight.  I am by no means a technology hater.  I love the stuff!  I can't imagine my world or my life without the convenience and the knowledge that I have gained while being glued to my phone.   While studying history, I constantly learned of the benefits and the remarkable inventions that have allowed for our world to connect and advance into a remarkable civilization.  However, I have often found myself asking when is too much, too much?  Perhaps too much is when a couple ceases to talk and relies on technology for their sole source of entertainment.  (Todd and I talk about Duck Dynasty so we are good.)  Or maybe for another couple, the mere presence of technology in the relationship has a negative impact.   

What I have determined in my quest for technology peace is that each individual person knows their limits, and each couple knows when their relationship is being neglected.  Therefore, when I watch Duck Dynasty with Todd I should always try to be present.  Maybe I can ask more questions like: "Can you believe Si said that?"  Yes, this is the solution to my technology predicament. 
 
I guess what I am trying to say is I want to Carpe Diem!  I want to YOLO!  I want to grab life by the horns and do stupid, immature things.  How can I make North Carolina my bee patch without getting off the couch and recording some Duck Dynasty for later?  The answer is I can't.  Watch out North Carolina.  I am coming for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment