I feel that recently, I have been overcome with a lot of emotions. Not very often do I actually take the time to think about the blessings that I have, and the good things going on in my life. The 12th anniversary of 9/11 has really made me think about our great nation and the freedoms that are given to us, simply by having United States citizenship. On September 11, 2001, I was sitting in my Latin class in 8th grade. Whenever we would get something right in class, or whenever Ms. Majors could tell that we were being restless, she would let the class do the chicken dance. Our classroom was built like a theater with multiple level of desks, and plenty of room to run around. I remember that on that day she got a phone call, and as a result we were lucky enough to get to run around. However, when she came back in the room she looked worried.
She began to tell us that her mother had just called her. She said that there had been an attack in New York on the world trade center buildings. Being from a small town in southern Virginia, I had no idea what those buildings were or what they looked like. She said that her brother was in New York on business and that she needed to spend the rest of the class trying to get a hold of him. She promptly went and found a tv and turned it on so that we could watch the news. For the rest of the day, for all of the teachers that I had, we simply just watched the tv. We were all glued to it and in some way, I remember not being able to fully realize what was going on. I remember feeling sadness and anger. We are America. Why would someone want to do this to us? This was the first act of terrorism that I witnessed, let alone the first act of war that I had ever seen. I couldn't comprehend why someone would want to drive a plane into a building and kill thousands of people. I also couldn't comprehend the sadness and the shock that the people of those families felt. I was too young.
Every day after school I would go home and watch TRL on MTV. I remember being so upset and angry that every tv station, and I mean EVERY tv station, was carrying news on the attacks. When I look back on that day, I feel ashamed that I only thought about myself and about my needs. Now that I am older I have a deeper appreciation for that day. How blessed are we to live in a country that have policemen, firefighters, and paramedics, who would risk their lives to save others. How blessed are we to have young men and women who choose to go overseas to risk their lives to defend our country. How blessed are we to have been united as countrymen for that moment in time. I know that we are all incredibly lucky and blessed to be able to live in this country.
As I approach that time in my life when I am thinking about having children (still very much in the future), I think about what I want to teach my children. I want to teach them that they can do anything that they put their mind to. I want to teach them to count their blessings and to develop a love and appreciation for our servicemen and women, as well as the countless professions that help serve and protect our country. As I think of the men and women who lost their lives on 9/11, I can't help but think of those who forgot to kiss their children goodbye, or who were unable to say goodbye to their spouses. It pains me to think of the regret that they must have felt, and the sadness that their loved ones endured. As I start a family of my own, I want them to be constantly reminded that I love them and that I will never take a moment for granted. I want them to feel loved and appreciated. I want them to feel safe and secure.
When I become a mother, one of the greatest tasks that I will be faced with is to teach my children. Throughout my life I will strive to ensure that the countless lives lost on that day are not taken for granted. History enables individuals to learn and grow. It also enables us to be thankful and appreciative. I am thankful for my country and I feel blessed to be able to live and raise a family here. We will never forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment